Welcome to another post here at Frustrated Affiliate Marketers! If it is the first time you land on this website, you should know something: this is the right place if you are an affiliate marketer or an online business owner!
Today’s topic is YouTube hashtags and search engine optimization: I am sharing this with you because you should know that, if you have already integrated YouTube in your marketing strategy, there are some techniques to make your videos rank better and get more views. These techniques are related to search engine optimization – yes, it applies also to videos!
So, let’s see how to optimize your video content and, if you like this article, don’t forget to click the green follow button at the end of the post!
WHAT ARE YOUTUBE HASHTAGS
Also your videos need text. Despite the fact that we focus on videos when we go to YouTube, there is a part of text that we need to optimize to make it easier for search engines to find our content – basically, this is what SEO means.
We do not think of it very often, but also YouTube is a search engine. Precisely, it is the second largest search engine after Google and, moreover, it is owned by Google. Think of how many times you go to YouTube to find a solution to one of your daily problems, or just for curiosity, or to watch news, or for any other reason: you see? we spend a lot of time on YouTube.
Despite this, it is not said that everyone integrates YouTube in business marketing strategies. But, if you did that, you need to know that there is something you should focus on: hashtags.
How do YouTube hashtags work?
– YouTube hashtags work exactly as the hashtags we are more used to, that is, social media hashtags. Basically, hashtags – # – collect all the videos that have the same topic. Using Google words:
“Viewers can click hashtags that show in your video title, above your video title or in the description. Doing so will take them to that hashtag’s search results page to see related videos.“
So, there are two places where you can add hashtags: the title of your video or the description. But, if you do not add hashtags to the title, the first three hashtags you use in the description will be shown above the video. All hashtags will be hyperlinked, so your video will be added to each hashtag’s page.
How many YouTube hashtags?
– When it comes to the number of YouTube hashtags, Google is very clear: Do Not Over-Tagging!
The more hashtags you add, the less relevant becomes your video. Moreover, if a video has more than 15 hashtags, all them will be ignored by YouTube.
YouTube Hashtags vs Tags
– Also tags help visitors understand what your video is about but, differently from hashtags, they are not very useful to rank better or to reach people. As Google says,
Tags can be useful if the content of your video is commonly misspelled.
But for what concerns SEO, they are not useful. Hashtags, rather, helps your video to be discovered, since they allow your video to be added to the relevant search results.
We give you the right tips, but you need the business.
YOUTUBE SEO 2020
How YouTube SEO works
– The things you should consider if you want to make your videos rank better and get more views on YouTube are mainly four:
title, thumbnail, description and hashtags.
Of course, content is king!
Title and thumbnail have more to do with a specific part of SEO: SERP, or Search Engine Results Pages. The SERP is basically what you get when you type a query. As for Google, when you search something on YouTube you first see the title of the content and, for what concerns YouTube, a miniaturized image that gives access to the video. Know, the more catching and honest the title and the thumbnail, the more views you get.
For the title, the best practice is to use the right keywords – I will tell you more about that later.
For the thumbnail, the best thing is to use a custom video thumbnail.
When it comes to the description of your YouTube video, the first rule is to write it naturally, the second rule is to create a description that is honestly related to your video content.
When I say “naturally” I mean that you do not have to write a stream of keywords to hack YouTube SEO – never forget that Google is too smart. Keep an eye on keywords, but do not exaggerate: choose the most relevant keywords; then choose two main keywords and use them smartly in the title and description. For the other keywords, use them in the description – without being repetitive – mainly in the first part.
I’ve alredy talked about hashtags, but now let’s see how to find the relevant hashtags for your videos to get more views.
How to do YouTube SEO
– The easiest thing to do is to search for hashtags directly on YouTube. This can be the first step to set up your YouTube SEO strategy for your video content.
Just type “#” followed by a query – do not use spaces!
This is what we find if we search “#affiliatemarketing“:
As you can see, the first results show us that the top ranking videos have hundreds of thousands of views. If you have not high visibility yet, it can be more convenient to use more specific keywords, with a fewer number of views for the top ranking videos.
This is what we find if we search “#affiliatemarketing2020“:
As you can see, the top ranking videos have less than 10,000 views: it is far easier to rank well for this keyword!
If you don’t know how to choose a more specific keyword don’t worry: as it happens with Google, while you type a query you get suggestions. Take care of them, because if those queries are there it means that people are typing them.
YouTube SEO and Hashtags Tools
YouTube SEO Tools
– Here’s a list of free tools to choose and use video keywords to rank better on YouTube. Please, consider that if you want to use exclusively the free plans, you have limitations – that is, you can use them for a limited number of searches each day. So, the best thing is to narrow the search using YouTube search results as explained above.
#1 – Keyword Tool
To use this tool, you just need to select “You Tube” and the language, then look for the keyword you are interested in. You will find a lot of suggestions related to that keyword, as well as information about th esearch volume, the changes in search volume for the last 12 months – so, you can discover if that keyword is trending, the cost per click to know how much people are bidding to run paid Google Ads campaigns, and the number of competitors for that keyword. You can also choose negative keywords to eliminate unwanted results.
#2 – Keyword Keg
This keyword tool is extremely interesting for the level of precision you can reach. Also here, you can set the language, the search engine – typing it into the APIs section, and the negative keywords, but the info you get are extremely valuable and they are always updated.
When you search a keyword, you get info about:
- Search Volume;
- Cost per Click;
- Value – that is, the monetary value of that keyword, vaue obtained by multiplying the cost per click by the search volume;
- OnPage difficulty – a value that estimates whether the top ranling websites’ SERPs are optimized. “This checks the keyword density in the title, description, headings and body“. The lower the value, the less optimized the SERP, so you have good chances to rank better;
- OffPage difficulty – this value is mainly related to backlink analysis. If the value is low, it means that the website has not a great amount of backlinks ir authority;
- SEO difficulty – this parameter evaluates both OnPage and OffPage SEO, and the lower the value the easier to rank for that keyword;
- CTR Scope – CTR, or Click Through rate, evaluetes if a result is clicked. The higher the value, the higher the amount of traffic if you rank for that keyword;
- Keyword Power – this value comprises SEO difficulty, CTR, search volume and CPC. The higher the value the better;
#3 – vidIQ
This is a YouTube certified tool. To use it, you need to login first – you can use your Google account, and then you verify your YouTube channel. If you want to discover all the opportunities offered by vidIQ, watch the video above! Since here we are focusing on video keyword tools, consider that once you get access to your dashboard, you can use the keyword tool: type a keyword, and you will get related keywords suggestions and info about search volume and competition.
YouTube Hashtag Generators
– Here there are two free YouTube hashtag generators that you can use to get ideas if you do not exactly know where to start to find the right hashtags to get more views. Since these tools serve just to get ideas, the best thing to do is to check the hashtags you get using the method explained above – that is, type the hashtag in the YouTube search box to understand how many videos are using that same hashtag
#1 – Tags Youtube
#2 – RapidTags
We give you the right tips, but you need the business.
You reached the end of the post, thank you for reading this article! If you like the content published here at Frustrated Affiliate Marketers, click the follow button below!
P.S.: If you want to share your opinions with us, leave a comment below!