“What is the best keyword research tool?”, this is a good question: there are a lot of online tools to improve your SEO, even for free. So, today I want to share with you the 3 free SEO optimization tools I use on a daily basis. These are 3 great Google Keyword Planner alternatives and if you use them wisely, they are completely free for as long as you need. Go on reading if you want to discover my affordable – free, in reality – SEO strategy.
If you want to know what I do when I have no content ideas, read this!
Step I – Google Search Results
First of all, I go to Google Search and start typing the general topic of the content I want to create. As I do that, Google shows me several keyword phrases based on people’s searches. The best part of this free “SEO tool” is that it is updated instantly. I use Google Search first because I can search unlimited words, while SEO tools free accounts allow me just a few searches. So, it is better to clear my head before wasting the few shots I have with other SEO tools.
From the searches that Google shows, you can start refining your search using different SEO research techniques (as the Alphabet Soup Technique). If you have just a general topic when you start, you will end having a lot of keywords phrases and long-tail keywords that will increase your possibilities to rank first on Google. But our work does not end here: we have a few more steps to target much better keywords.
Step II – Jaaxy
As they say in their presentation, Jaaxy is a tool created by affiliate marketers for affiliate marketers – but all online marketers can use it, of course. In my opinion, this is one of the best SEO tools online and I will show you why.
Even with their free account you have 30 searches, 20 search results, keyword competition data and 30 SiteRank Analysis Scans to know how your website is ranking in different search engines according to your relevant keywords.
The Pro version has a lot of advantages as you can see: it costs $49/month, but if you become a premium member of Wealthy Affiliate it is included in your membership.
So, once I gather tips from Google Search, I start checking those keywords with Jaaxy. I do that because with this SEO tool I can know what is the competition for that keyword and what is the quality of that keyword, analyzing the metrics offered by Jaaxy, that is:
- Avg – the average number of searches that a keyword receives each month;
- Traffic – the estimated traffic you get you you rank first for that keyword;
- QSR – the number of competing websites that are ranking in Google for that keyword;
- KQI – the quality indicator: it can be poor, normal or great;
- SEO – a score from 1 to 100 based on both traffic and competition. The higher the score, the higher the possibility you will rank first for that keyword.To make an example I searched the keyword phrase “free seo tools“. As you see, the estimated traffic is great! But I’m not going to choose this keyword: the competition is too much, the quality is poor and the SEO score is not as good as I want: I have not many opportunities to rank first for this keyword. So, unless you are Neil Patel, I suggest you to choose something else.
Step III – Answer the Public
Also this tool collects searches from search engines, but the difference with other SEO tools is that Answer The Public shows you also the searches related to your main keyword phrase. And these searches are questions that people type on search engines: if you answer even one of those questions, you are solving a problem for the online audience, and this is the first rule for success!
Also in this case, the free account has limits, so try to reach this step with a clear keyword list in your mind!
So, among the keywords I chose from Jaaxy I pick my favorite one – the one with a decent amount of traffic, low competition (under 100), great QI and SEO very close to 100 – and I search it using Answer The Public.
Now, I have two paths in front of me:
- If I find that there are questions I didn’t even think about but that are extremely relevant for my content, I repeat all the steps to add relevant keywords to my list;
- If I find that the questions are already covered by my content, I go ahead.
In any case, I make a double and final check with Jaaxy, because it gives me the possibility to create and save a keyword list. At this point, I create my list full of relevant and high-quality keywords, I save it, and I create my content.
You reached the end of this article and I hope you will use it to solve some problems or to refine your SEO strategy.
Just to be sure that you won’t miss the opportunity to discover this great community, I leave here the link to Wealthy Affiliate: you can join for free as long as you want, don’t worry. But I bet you will become a Premium once discovered the number of opportunities it can give you to make you succeed online (Jaaxy Pro included)!
In the meanwhile, if you have any questions, doubts, tips or opinions, leave a comment below. Have a nice day!